Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Tingle Triggers: Monty Python

Monty python foot

I’ve been a fan of Monty Python for years. I don’t quite know why, but there it is. When I was younger I would watch the original series with my father and brothers.

Back then it was funny to me because I was a child and couldn’t appreciate the satire taking place. I was more interested in the animations by Terry Gilliam, if anything.

But still, over the years, I persisted in watching the series – hiring every Python DVD I could get a hold of at the video store. And when that wasn’t enough, I managed to borrow some behind-the-scenes type DVDs – each focusing on a particular Python (my favourite of all time is John Cleese, without a doubt).

Still needing my hunger satiated, I then turned to the Python films that were made in the 70’s and 80’s. The Meaning of Life, which was made in 1983, is quite common to come by, and I’ve watched it several times over the years. Monty Python And The Holy Grail and Life Of Brian were harder for me to catch – until just the other day. I loaned a whole lot of DVDs from a friend, and I went about flicking through the collection. I stumbled upon not only Holy Grail, but also Life Of Brian. I then proceeded to watch them both over the weekend.

I’d rarely, if ever, gotten any tingles from watching Monty Python. But these two films actually changed all that. There was a particular scene in Holy Grail, where Michael Palin stumbles in to a castle, which is inhabited by dozens of young blonde and brunette women. It was here when he conversed with the two twins – who had some rather amusing, but lewd names – that I, for probably the first time, got buzzing during a Python film or skit of any kind.

Life of Brian was even better, really, in more ways than one. Firstly, in my mind it probably possessed the most coherent and mature of plots in any Python film. This could likely be attributed largely due to the fact that it was based on events in the Bible. For that reason it wasn’t as silly and ludicrous as a lot of other Python skits, which did go on a bit, to be honest.

There was a scene here where, Michael Palin (once again – perhaps a trend developing) is a Roman who is ushering a horde of individuals off to the hilltop for crucifixions. It’s when he asks: “Crucifixion? Good.”

This is where I just started replaying that scene over and over again. He was so attentive, and perhaps even kind; understanding – a complete turnaround to what you’d expect from a man in such a position.

In addition to this, there’s a section accessed from the main menu, where you can listen to radio adverts that were broadcast on the BBC years ago. Listening to these gave me a hit or two as well – especially the man who says “watch Monty Python’s Life of Brian…”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you’ve found this post helpful or humorous, why not bookmark it right now? You can do this by using the ‘share it’ buttons, as well as the new blogger share buttons at the bottom of the post. Please feel free to share this article with others, but do not plagiarise. All posts on this blog including this one, are copyrighted.

You may also leave a comment as well.

Bookmarking and commenting only takes a little time, and you can also consider subscribing to my RSS feed for more!

I apologise if you are having trouble leaving a comment. Sometimes the comment system doesn't accept comments. I'm looking in to this right now, and hopefully can find a fix soon. There are several potentional reasons why this may be happening to some people, and one of them points in the direction of a recent Blogger update.

This is the main reason why I am unable to respond to comments left on the blog for the time being, but rest assured that I do read and approve comments that make it through. If you really need to get a hold of me, then visit my contact page in the sidebar to the right. Thanks.

Custom Search

Site Updates

These are just mini-updates that I was too lazy or busy to make a post for. They also list changes or additions that have been made to the blog, for interest's sake and to follow how the blog is developing.

- Enabled mobile layout for blog.

- Updated hotspots page.

- Work in progress on new page.

Full list here.
There was an error in this gadget

Popular Posts

Labels

ASMR (179) ASMR Group (50) facebook (47) tingling (41) sound (38) video (27) audio (25) YouTube (21) ASMR Research and Support (20) The Unnamed Feeling (19) poll (19) sensation (19) experience (18) feeling (18) AIE (17) Tingle Triggers (15) ecstacy (14) ASMR Network (13) TV (12) tingles (12) ASMR team (11) music (11) radio (10) community (9) trigger (9) UNF (8) theory (8) ASMR forum (7) Type B (7) community update (7) theories (7) Type A (6) video games (6) App (5) asmer (5) Society of Sensationalists (4) Wikipedia (4) narcolepsy (4) trial (4) ASMR Radio (3) International ASMR Day (3) Outreach Agent (3) Twitter (3) hypnosis (3) movies (3) polls (3) research (3) steadyhealth (3) ASMR Island (2) Andrew Johnson (2) HubPages (2) Hug Your Brain Day (2) Insomnia (2) Kickstarter (2) Reddit (2) cartoons (2) chills (2) contest (2) dopamine (2) experiments (2) hair growth (2) hair loss (2) iPhone (2) medical (2) mobile (2) pain (2) scientific (2) senses (2) side effects (2) social networking (2) spiritual (2) trigger videos (2) tumblr (2) AIHO (1) AIOEU (1) ASMR TV (1) Amygdala Clicking (1) Indigo Children (1) Librivox (1) MP3s (1) Meetup.com (1) Skype (1) The ASMR Project (1) blog (1) digital media (1) eBook (1) emotions (1) empathy (1) external (1) funding (1) gibberish (1) goosebumps (1) haircut (1) haptics (1) head (1) incidental trigger (1) informercials (1) intentional triggers (1) internal (1) interview (1) itches (1) milestone (1) news (1) paranormal (1) phenomenon (1) playlist (1) podcast (1) religion (1) roleplay (1) scalp (1) sign language (1) sixth sense (1) speech (1) stress (1) stroking (1) survey (1) synaesthesia (1) tongues (1) vessel (1)