Thursday, November 4, 2010

Possible Similarities Between Face Melting and ASMR

I’ve done one or two posts so far on this blog about ASMR and music. We all have different triggers, particularly those of us who are Type B experiencers.

But interestingly, people who identify themselves as predominantly Type A, who don’t need any external influences to trigger ASMR, tend to get some effect from music at times, which would fall under Type B triggers, seeing as it’s an external influence – meaning “out there”, rather than “in here” – to put it bluntly.
I wasn’t sure if I ever really experienced this, unless it was actually lyrics from a song, where the person was talking or singing, that triggered it for me. For me, speech is a common Type B trigger.

But as of late, I’ve come to think that something that heavy metal and rock fans, and maybe fans of other genres, will know all too well may be an ASMR event. This term is known as “face melting”.

I’ve made it no secret that I enjoy listening to heavy metal music and people usually use the term when they describe a guitar solo; one that is particularly good – although it could be used for other instruments, perhaps.

Anyway, I’ve been listening to my collection a lot lately, and I’ve noticed that one solo that seems to trigger it off for me recently is one in the song “Black Magic” by Slayer. It’s an old classic from back in the 80’s , and when I listen to that solo, it does seem to create that tingling sensation just for a brief while, on top of the head, and the sides. Other times when I hear some great solos, it will send a shiver up or down my spine. That’s how I usually judge whether a guitar solo, or song in general is any good. The last bit of the song by Slayer called “Tormentor” is an example of this. Other times my eyes water!

Anyway, this led me to think that this face-melting thing that people talk about could well be a brief episode of ASMR, or it could be one of the things experienced. I’m not sure, but the feeling for me is similar, for sure. I find when I anticipate the part when a solo or otherwise exceptional part of a song is about to begin, that I start to get it, and it builds up while it’s happening to it’s climax.

It wouldn’t be a surprise, seeing as people have made up other names for ASMR instead of using the same old acronyms (and vowels!) all the time. Some have terms such as “hairgasms” or “braingasms”. Face-melting could just be one of several, or perhaps many that describe this feeling which for some time seems to have no widely known name.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew Johnson's hypnosis works for me. I'm primarily type B.

    http://withandrewjohnson.com/free-hypnosis-mp3-downloads.html

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve found this post helpful or humorous, why not bookmark it right now? You can do this by using the ‘share it’ buttons, as well as the new blogger share buttons at the bottom of the post. Please feel free to share this article with others, but do not plagiarise. All posts on this blog including this one, are copyrighted.

You may also leave a comment as well.

Bookmarking and commenting only takes a little time, and you can also consider subscribing to my RSS feed for more!

I apologise if you are having trouble leaving a comment. Sometimes the comment system doesn't accept comments. I'm looking in to this right now, and hopefully can find a fix soon. There are several potentional reasons why this may be happening to some people, and one of them points in the direction of a recent Blogger update.

This is the main reason why I am unable to respond to comments left on the blog for the time being, but rest assured that I do read and approve comments that make it through. If you really need to get a hold of me, then visit my contact page in the sidebar to the right. Thanks.

Custom Search

Site Updates

These are just mini-updates that I was too lazy or busy to make a post for. They also list changes or additions that have been made to the blog, for interest's sake and to follow how the blog is developing.

- Enabled mobile layout for blog.

- Updated hotspots page.

- Work in progress on new page.

Full list here.
There was an error in this gadget

Popular Posts

Labels

ASMR (179) ASMR Group (50) facebook (47) tingling (41) sound (38) video (27) audio (25) YouTube (21) ASMR Research and Support (20) The Unnamed Feeling (19) poll (19) sensation (19) experience (18) feeling (18) AIE (17) Tingle Triggers (15) ecstacy (14) ASMR Network (13) TV (12) tingles (12) ASMR team (11) music (11) radio (10) community (9) trigger (9) UNF (8) theory (8) ASMR forum (7) Type B (7) community update (7) theories (7) Type A (6) video games (6) App (5) asmer (5) Society of Sensationalists (4) Wikipedia (4) narcolepsy (4) trial (4) ASMR Radio (3) International ASMR Day (3) Outreach Agent (3) Twitter (3) hypnosis (3) movies (3) polls (3) research (3) steadyhealth (3) ASMR Island (2) Andrew Johnson (2) HubPages (2) Hug Your Brain Day (2) Insomnia (2) Kickstarter (2) Reddit (2) cartoons (2) chills (2) contest (2) dopamine (2) experiments (2) hair growth (2) hair loss (2) iPhone (2) medical (2) mobile (2) pain (2) scientific (2) senses (2) side effects (2) social networking (2) spiritual (2) trigger videos (2) tumblr (2) AIHO (1) AIOEU (1) ASMR TV (1) Amygdala Clicking (1) Indigo Children (1) Librivox (1) MP3s (1) Meetup.com (1) Skype (1) The ASMR Project (1) blog (1) digital media (1) eBook (1) emotions (1) empathy (1) external (1) funding (1) gibberish (1) goosebumps (1) haircut (1) haptics (1) head (1) incidental trigger (1) informercials (1) intentional triggers (1) internal (1) interview (1) itches (1) milestone (1) news (1) paranormal (1) phenomenon (1) playlist (1) podcast (1) religion (1) roleplay (1) scalp (1) sign language (1) sixth sense (1) speech (1) stress (1) stroking (1) survey (1) synaesthesia (1) tongues (1) vessel (1)