Wednesday, September 22, 2010

ASMR and Video Games: Part III

As I’ve mentioned before, I play the odd PC game from time to time. I wouldn’t label myself as a hardcore gamer – I’m not one of those World of WarCraft people, for sure.

Anyway, while playing a game every now and again, I’ll come across a character’s voice or sound that might well trigger off an ASMR hit. I decided that I would post about it seeing as among the groups of people that experience ASMR, gamers are included.

Another example of this is Fallout 3. The series has always been known for its rich characters and story, and this one, although made by a different developer in Bethesda, rather than Black Isle Studios.

There are a couple of characters in the game that set it off for me, and they’re both located in one of the early destinations in the game: Megaton. The town is easily distinguished by its shacks that circle the town centre, mainly built from airplane fuselage, which has a massive atomic bomb planted in a crater, that failed to go off when it fell many years ago.

Bomb

                                                  Image courtesy of Flickr

The first time I got a hit was when I stumbled upon the priest, Confessor Cromwell, who was standing, oddly, in the radioactive water next to the bomb, preaching to anybody who would listen. He belonged to the “Church of the Children of Atom” – and they worshiped this atomic bomb, strangely. You can talk to this priest and he’s very interesting if a bit long winded and odd. He makes a lot of extended metaphors as regards atomic bombs and radiation and so on. Probably from standing in that water…

The second character is up a level and located in the Craterside Supply store. Her name is Moira. Red-headed, possibly of Irish decent, she is one of the main NPCs (non-playable characters) in the game and often sends the player character on dangerous and often nonsensical missions in order to get information to write her book, called The Wasteland Survival Guide.

Listening to her often reminds me of another character – Candy, Alan’s one time girlfriend in Two and a Half Men. She also bears a striking resemblance to this woman, and this lead me to think it was indeed the same actress doing the voice. I have thus far not found out whether this is true or not. But it certainly sounds (and looks) like it. I would purposely make her repeat sentences in game to get my ASMR going.

3 comments:

  1. some of the characters in oblivion do this for me never took the time to remember which ones but i for sure remember while playing about a year and a half ago getting it triggered by character voices in oblivion

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes sense, seeing as the two games were not only made by Bethsoft, but shared several voice actors too.

    I'm sure if I had to go back and play Oblivion, I'd find some characters who trigger it off for me. It's been a few years though, and I wouldn't mind playing it again. Thought about it the other day, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe I've experienced the tingle while playing video games (probably because I mostly play fast paced games) but I do tend to get the tingles while planning a D&D campaign and sometimes while I'm DMing.

    So I guess this has something to do with RPGs rather than video games.
    It cant be the mathematical thinking pattern since I never experience it while playing MTG.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve found this post helpful or humorous, why not bookmark it right now? You can do this by using the ‘share it’ buttons, as well as the new blogger share buttons at the bottom of the post. Please feel free to share this article with others, but do not plagiarise. All posts on this blog including this one, are copyrighted.

You may also leave a comment as well.

Bookmarking and commenting only takes a little time, and you can also consider subscribing to my RSS feed for more!

I apologise if you are having trouble leaving a comment. Sometimes the comment system doesn't accept comments. I'm looking in to this right now, and hopefully can find a fix soon. There are several potentional reasons why this may be happening to some people, and one of them points in the direction of a recent Blogger update.

This is the main reason why I am unable to respond to comments left on the blog for the time being, but rest assured that I do read and approve comments that make it through. If you really need to get a hold of me, then visit my contact page in the sidebar to the right. Thanks.

Custom Search

Site Updates

These are just mini-updates that I was too lazy or busy to make a post for. They also list changes or additions that have been made to the blog, for interest's sake and to follow how the blog is developing.

- Enabled mobile layout for blog.

- Updated hotspots page.

- Work in progress on new page.

Full list here.
There was an error in this gadget

Popular Posts

Labels

ASMR (179) ASMR Group (50) facebook (47) tingling (41) sound (38) video (27) audio (25) YouTube (21) ASMR Research and Support (20) The Unnamed Feeling (19) poll (19) sensation (19) experience (18) feeling (18) AIE (17) Tingle Triggers (15) ecstacy (14) ASMR Network (13) TV (12) tingles (12) ASMR team (11) music (11) radio (10) community (9) trigger (9) UNF (8) theory (8) ASMR forum (7) Type B (7) community update (7) theories (7) Type A (6) video games (6) App (5) asmer (5) Society of Sensationalists (4) Wikipedia (4) narcolepsy (4) trial (4) ASMR Radio (3) International ASMR Day (3) Outreach Agent (3) Twitter (3) hypnosis (3) movies (3) polls (3) research (3) steadyhealth (3) ASMR Island (2) Andrew Johnson (2) HubPages (2) Hug Your Brain Day (2) Insomnia (2) Kickstarter (2) Reddit (2) cartoons (2) chills (2) contest (2) dopamine (2) experiments (2) hair growth (2) hair loss (2) iPhone (2) medical (2) mobile (2) pain (2) scientific (2) senses (2) side effects (2) social networking (2) spiritual (2) trigger videos (2) tumblr (2) AIHO (1) AIOEU (1) ASMR TV (1) Amygdala Clicking (1) Indigo Children (1) Librivox (1) MP3s (1) Meetup.com (1) Skype (1) The ASMR Project (1) blog (1) digital media (1) eBook (1) emotions (1) empathy (1) external (1) funding (1) gibberish (1) goosebumps (1) haircut (1) haptics (1) head (1) incidental trigger (1) informercials (1) intentional triggers (1) internal (1) interview (1) itches (1) milestone (1) news (1) paranormal (1) phenomenon (1) playlist (1) podcast (1) religion (1) roleplay (1) scalp (1) sign language (1) sixth sense (1) speech (1) stress (1) stroking (1) survey (1) synaesthesia (1) tongues (1) vessel (1)